To find out if a particular client is eligibile to benefit from our services we use an Eligibility criteria. This form is available to download from our “Customer Forms” section.
Eligibility Criteria Summary
- The care recipient must have a significant intellectual and/or physical disability and/or sensory disability, when the disability occurs from birth or is acquired prior to age 18
- The primary carer is caring for the care recipient at home (respite eligible clients)
- The care recipient is aged between 5 – 65 years The care recipient needs support due to a substantial reduction of their capacity for communication, social interaction, learning or mobility
- Priority will be given to clients living in the central Gold Coast area, North to Southport-Nerang Rd and Sth to Fleays Fauna Park Burleigh Heads, West to Railway St Mudgeeraba, east to the coastline
Respite Service Delivery
Bethany Care Ltd is funded to provide a range of services to people with disabilities and their families. The purpose of respite is to enable carers to continue to support the person with a disability to live in the community. Respite is designed to provide carers with a break from their caring role to rest, relax and take care of themselves.
Respite is short to medium term. Respite is not designed to meet the long-term support needs of clients and carers. Services will be reviewed each year unless otherwise specified. Any party to this agreement can request a review earlier than the specified date.
Service cannot be provided where a client is no longer residing in the family home. i.e. when a person moves out of the family home and lives either independently or in permanent supported accommodation they are no longer eligible to receive a respite break as they are no longer in the full time care of their family caregiver.
The level of support provided to participants is tailored to suit their specific needs in the following areas; social skill development, physical hygiene, daily living skills, medical requirements, community integration etc. Support is also delivered in accordance with the information contained within an individual’s profile and plan.
Bethany Care provides a range of respite options to meet the varying needs of individuals and their families. They include:
- Community based day respite in south east Queensland, (also known as NRG Tuesday, NRG Thursday, Saturday Bowling, or Sunday Church)
- Centre based overnight respite at “Hope Cottage”
- Away camps and holiday throughout Queensland and interstate. These special events occur on a planned basis up to 4 times a year.
“Hope Cottage” Facilities
Repite bookings for this 4 bedroom home are highly sought after by both new and repeat clients with disabilities. Hope Cottage sprang from a proven track record with our funding body, Disability Services Queensland, who provided non recurrent monies for Bethany Care to purchase property for this vital community service.
Coordinated centrally from Varsity Lakes’ thriving business hub, the Bethany Operational Team seek to address your enquiries from start to finish: reservations, assessments, and payment of accounts through to the rostering of appropriately skilled support workers.
You can have total confidence in our commitment to providing an environment of safety with a homestyle atmosphere. Peace of mind for everyone!
“Hope Cottage” offers:
- Individual bedrooms for up to 3 pre-booked guests with own TV/Video – Clients can bring their favorite movies. There is capacity to accommodate a 4th person in an emergency situation where the primary carer
cannot look after the individual e.g. funeral, primary carer illness.
- All meals and refreshments are provided on-site.
- Transportation to and from any Bethany run activity – Possible transport to 3rd party location subject to compatibility with household timetables.
- Social and personal care support assistance – We provide assistance with living skills and community access and progression against agreed goals.
- Check In: Usually 4:00-5.00pm
- Check Out: Usually 8:30 – 9:30am
- Medication must be supplied in Webster packs (Bethany Care reserves the right to seek medical opinion for a client whilst in care, the expense of which and any prescribed medication is born by the client/family and may lead to early discharge of client to prevent further exposure to guests and staff. No client will be admitted with open sores, head lice, virus or bacterial infection).
Individual Adult Lifestyle Support (ALSP) – Community Engagement Strategies
This service option is extremely favored by clients living within South East Queensland. Unfortunately, demand far outweighs available government funding.It all begins by registering your ‘need’ on the Disability Services Queensland website: www.disability.qld.gov.au and following the prompts. There are significant waiting lists for this type of funding. For the latest information please speak directly to your local Disability Services Queensland representative.
When you are assessed eligible for ALSP
Bethany Care Ltd becomes the nominated ‘funds holder’ of an individuals Adult Lifestyle Support Package, ONLY after consultation with the individual and or their family, the funding provider (DSQ), and the Assistant Manager or Service Operations Manager of Bethany. The supports provided through the ALSP program are agreed upon through the development of a detailed I.S.P -Individual Support Plan (Part B of Individual Profile). This occurs through consultation between the family, DSQ and Bethany Care.
The consultation provides an opportunity for documenting the detailed goals of the person with a disability and possible strategies available resources to achieve them.The individual’s progress against those goals are
reviewed on an agreed basis with the family and client. This document is kept in the client file and a copy is available to the individual and family. We would like to supply a copy of the completed Individual Support Plan (ISP) to you. Please contact the Assistant Manager to obtain your copy. Individual Support Plans for ALSP clients are reviewed on a pre-planned basis with support workers documenting a summary of their face to face support each week. This data collection provides for effective reporting to the relevant stakeholders and review of service delivery.
School Transition – “Sample of Service”
Bethany Care supports initiatives of Education Queensland, at a local community level, to enable those students with a disability who are exiting school to ‘sample’ a range of services offered by different organizations here on the Gold Coast. Each organization will have their own eligibility criteria and conditions of entry. In most instances supporting individuals who are ‘sampling’ is not funded at either a state or commonwealth level. Students, families and school transition officers and the service provider must have very clear expectations of timelines and conditions of entry and supports to be provided.
Kids Weekends (Age Criteria Apply)
This is an exciting time of the month for our younger clients where they have the opportunity to hang out with mates at our Slumber Party weekends. Children are typically aged between 9 – 14 years, but we certainly welcome those between the full range of 5- 15 years on these weekends ( subject to the full compatibility issues -support needs, gender etc)
Special Events including Camps
Recent camps have included Whale Watching, and Easter Vacation Care. What’s coming next? An interstate trip to Sydney for the Ten Pin Bowling Association (TBA) Australian Disability Championship’s in June 2006
In home Personal Care
(other than ALSP) Family to negotiate with Assistant Manager for availability of staff and associated cost. Geographical boundaries apply.
Host Family Arrangements in Group Homes
Bethany Care has a proven history of providing permanent accommodation in a host family setting as an alternative to large scale venues.
Bethany Care presently supports a number of clients living in supported accommodation together with those individuals residing in the family home with older parents and those who simply want to ‘move out of home’ like other people their age.
Bethany Care has always been focused on this element of the strategic plan. We are committed to facilitating people with a disability to achieve of this goal. Consultations have occurred with community: individuals with a disability, families, other not for profit organisations, support workers, commerce leaders and developers. Models of service have been completed and funding applications have been submitted. Accommodation would continue to be provided on the principles of our Christian faith.
If you would like to partner with us in area we invite you to contact our team to register your interest.
If you’d like information on ANY of the details contained herein, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org or call our Operational Team on (07) 5501 8070